Chocolate Peppermint Sugar Cookies from Essential Everyday will have visions of sugar cookies dancing in your head! Bake a batch to find out.
Chocolate Peppermint Sugar Cookies
- 2 cups Essential EverydayⓇ All-Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Essential EverydayⓇ Cocoa Powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1½ sticks Essential EverydayⓇ Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1¼ cups Essential EverydayⓇ Sugar
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 Essential EverydayⓇ Egg
- ¾ cup Essential EverydayⓇ Chocolate Chips
For the Icing:
- 1½ cups Essential EverydayⓇ Powdered Sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ¾ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ cup crushed peppermint hard candies
- Preheat oven to 375℉. Line 2 large sheet pans with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl whisk to combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Beat in peppermint extract, then beat in egg. Scrape down sides of bowl, add flour mixture, and mix in just until smooth. Gently mix in chocolate chips.
- Scoop the dough into portions using a ¼ cup measuring cup, then break each portion in half and roll into balls.
- Place dough balls on prepared sheet pans, leaving 2” of space between them. Use the palm of your hand to flatten the dough balls.
- Bake until just set, 8-10 minutes, switching oven racks and rotating sheet pans halfway through baking. Let cool for 3 minutes on sheet pans, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl whisk to combine powdered sugar, milk, and peppermint extract. Spread out crushed peppermint candies on a plate.
- Roll edges of cooled cookies in the icing, then in the peppermint candies. Place on a parchment lined sheet pan and allow the icing to set.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.